Thursday, June 5, 2014

We are all the same

Fear.  A powerful and curious emotion.  Some have more of it than others.  Some hide it and some wear it on their sleeve.  Some push past it and act courageously.  Some let it hold them back from going after what they want.  And for some of us, the answer depends on the day.

I just  looked it up.  FEAR is "a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined."  I actually think this makes me less "fearful" of certain things in my life when I realize that I am fearful of things that will not cause pain or injury...except maybe to my ego.  So what if I tell a boy I am interested and he doesn't reciprocate?  All I have done is compliment someone, right?  I will not die from this, or endure any permanent damage.  And what about the moments I am afraid of not being able to get back in shape after this injury.  I can let that immobilize me, or I can harness that energy to create further empathy for those I train and coach (being able to so honestly say "I have been where you are.  I know how you feel").  And then take a step forward each day to disprove that fear.  Proving to myself and others that with each courageous step, we become stronger individuals (and I mean this well beyond the physical).  

I used to believe fear was a negative trait.  But the longer I am here, the more I realize that the vulnerability of it connects us all and allows us to learn about ourselves and begin to know that there is strength in our doubts, our fears and our insecurities, especially when we are willing to be transparent in all that we feel.  

When we can look honestly at the emotion and what causes it, I think it helps us learn a lot about ourselves and teaches us amazingly valuable tools to move through and beyond the fear.  And how exciting to find out what lies ahead? 





No comments: