Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Truth


I say to people that I always prefer the truth, even if it is something I don't want to hear.  This is something that seems sort of obvious to me, but I realize it is not a universal desire.  I always marveled at the women who ask their man "Does this look good on me?" and don't actually want the truth but rather are sending what they think is a clear request to be told they look great!  Huh?  I don't get it.  I'm not judging...I just don't get it.  If I ask it's because I want to know that this shirt isn't particularly flattering or no, the ensemble is not accentuating my assets as I would like, or maybe something I thought matched really doesn't.  Why else would I ask?  I personally find no comfort in platitudes.  

Now make no mistake...I am not saying be mean.  I think that Kind is always something we should strive for.  But I see a big difference between "kind" and "nice".  Don't be nice to me to save my feelings.  If a man breaks up with me I want to know the real reason so I can think about it and work to better myself if I need to.  I realize it's not an easy thing to do at times, to be completely honest.  But I think it says a lot about the strength of any relationship, be it with a friend, boyfriend, or colleague.  I also think it speaks to how much respect you have for me.

So why do people look at me weird because they can't understand that I want the true answer to my questions.  Great movie, but I am not sure Jack Nicholson was right.  
At least not where I am concerned :)


No comments: